Located in the heart of Provence, near routes traveled by Crusaders in the early Middle Ages, the Commanderie de Peyrassol was founded by the Knights Templar who were dedicated to protecting the Crusaders en route to, and in, the Holy Land. The first recorded harvest took place in 1256 and winemaking has continued uninterrupted throughout the centuries. When the Templars were brought down in 1311 by the King of France, the Knights of Malta became the fortunate owners of the Commanderie. They remained in control, flawlessly maintaining the vineyards until the French Revolution, when it was taken over by the State and eventually sold to the Rigord family in 1870. A century later Francoise Rigord decided to bottle and market the wines of the estate. In 2001, the Rigord family sold the property to Philippe Austruy. Thus, over the course of more than 750 years, this historic estate has only changed hands four time. Philippe Austruy has invested heavily in the property, modernizing the cellars and expanding the holdings. His nephew, Alban Cacaret, is responsible for the daily operations of the domaine. Peyrassol is rigorously maintained with organic principles, in full respect of the surrounding environment and the delicate balance of the local Mediterranean ecosystem. No synthetic fertilizers or pesticides or fungicides are used in the vineyards. Organic sprays are used to help prevent chlorosis (nutrient deficiencies) and sheep manure is the only fertilizer used after planting. The age of the vines, the rocky terrain, and the hot, dry climate naturally restrict yields.
Core Wines (others available, please inquire):
Château Peyrassol Côtes de Provence Rosé
Commanderie de Peyrassol Côtes de Provence Rosé
La Croix de Peyrassol VdP Rouge